Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The First Day of School!

Well, we survived it... the first day of school here in homeschool land. While all the other children were still out riding bikes and savoring their last days of freedom, my poor children were inside learning things like... "A sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought." and "I says i, as in Indian" and the Nazca Indians of Peru made these cool drawings on the earth that can only be seen completely from the air, but they didn't have airplanes thousands of years ago so... how did they do that? and forming number bonds (don't ask, I've switched to Sinagpore Math, and it's really good, but it's a lot different than A Beka).

So, we started out fine, very little fussing and arguing. Well, from the boys. Missy Lou was decidedly less than enthusiastic to start preschool, so she refused to get dressed, and then she refused to eat breakfast and then threw a fit when I told her she needed to get dressed in order to join us for flag salute. And then my dear friend came by with some yummy peaches. And then my mother came by with some plums. And then the garbage truck came by and we all had to run outside and watch it. But, we were able to finish up our studies by lunch. Being the first day of school, the lessons were pretty short, and we also aren't starting Fine Arts until next week, so I don't anticipate us finishing before lunch AND being able to watch "Dragon Tales" on a regular basis, but we'll see how it all works out.

2 comments:

Kim said...

It sounds like Missy Lou behaved a whole lot better than I plan to on the first day of school!

Not looking forward to it! : )

Carolyn said...

At least I didn't interupt DURING the flag salute! :-)

We need to get together soon! Maybe just you and me for lunch or dinner sometime???

Glad your first day went well!