Monday, April 9, 2012

Go Get Your Hands Dirty!

You know, I just love gardening. It's one of those hobbies that really suits my personality. I'm not a crafty person. Or someone who does decorating or creative stuff. I'm just not that creative. And I can't put things together and make them look right. You know, some people can do all sorts of nifty things - my daughter has been the recipient of several darling little hair do-dads made by the mom of a friend of hers. I can't do that sort of thing. But gardening and baking are pretty forgiving hobbies. Saturday was a beautiful day for gardening and look what we found.
Get a load of these carrots. We have never been that successful in growing carrots. They've always been kind of short and fat.  But then, this winter we grew them in a box with potting soil.

And they came out beautiful and very carrot-looking. I guess carrots need looser soil so they can grown down. Who woulda thought?  And then these peas. We've been harvesting peas.  We would have had more but there was an accident with the trellis. It was the dog that tipped it over. Yeah, the dog! No, it was the wind. Yeah, the wind blew it over. Or, maybe it was the cat....... Or maybe it was a little boy riding his bike in the garden when he wasn't supposed to! Well, anyhow, we have a scant harvest of peas but they are yummy and we will be eating them stir-fried with carrots and mushrooms tonight for dinner.
And now, for something completely different. Well, still within the agricultural milieu, but... so, have you ever tried plant propagation? It is more fun than you can imagine! Really. I learned how to do it when I was taking a gardening class (actually for starting a school garden) about 10 years ago.  You can start new plants from old plants. It's the neatest thing.  Here we are propagating grape vines. Just because we can.
When Hubby pruned last fall I told him to just stick some sticks in some old pots I had. So, he did. They stayed there all winter. They even survived an accident. I think it was another bike accident. Our children really need to learn how to ride their bikes without crashing into things.  Anyhow.... so, we just ignored them all winter and then....
one day last week I saw this......
and this..... it's a bud. A bud, I tell you. I was so excited. It may look like a dried up, dead stick to you, but there's life in that stick!  Hubby's like, "What are we going to do with them? We don't have room for another grape vine!" That's true. We don't even have room for all the tomato plants and we still have to plant squash and melons!  But, it doesn't matter what we're going to do with them.  What matters is.... we did it! We have more grapevines.  That's the point!
Oh, and if anyone in the tri-county area wants some grapevines, just let me know. I'll give 'em to you for free.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Me, me, me ... pick me!

Kristen said...

OK! I'll bring it up next time I see you!

Carolyn said...

Wow -- your carrots did really well! Mine didn't do well at all this winter. Oh well.
And good for you on the grapevines! We have two, but I wouldn't mind another one. Thanks!