Thursday, April 19, 2012

If You Don't Want to be Woken up at 6:00 in the Morning....

keep your stinkin' dogs inside!  I've been trying to go walking in the mornings. I really don't like it all that much, but it is a pleasant time of day, I can be alone with my thoughts for a few minutes and I really do need the exercise.  So, I'm out walking this morning in our neighborhood. We have a nice neighborhood. It's solidly middle class, with wide streets and nice houses. There are a few people out and about - jogging, walking, leaving for work, but it's generally peaceful that time of day. We don't have a huge subdivision, so to get in a half hour of walking I have to go in and out of every cul-de-sac and up every street. So, I enter this cul-de-sac this morning and I'm walking by a house and the garage door is open. I peer in a little and see the pedestrian door is also open to the backyard. And then I hear barking.( I know what you're thinking, why didn't you just turn around right then? You have to understand that all this was happening in a matter of a few seconds and I'd been up this cul-de-sac a million times before and never had dog problems, so I wasn't expecting it) I walk past the house and I hear louder barking. And right then two dogs (a little yappy dog and a medium sized black and white dog) come bounding out of the garage and start barking at me, standing in the street between me and the outlet to the main street. Basically, I'm trapped. Usually, I have my pepper spray with me, but I haven't been able to find it lately.  And I'm not sure if I really would have sprayed those dogs. I'd prefer to use it only if I were actually in danger of being attacked and at that point they were just barking.  So, I kept walking in the cul-de-sac, hoping that if they saw me walking the other direction they'd go home. But no. They didn't.  They just kept barking and barking! Now, my heart is pumping a little faster and I'm not quite sure what to do. I started yelling at them to go home, but they kept barking at me. So, finally, I just went up to the door of the house and rang the doorbell. Yeah, it was early, but I didn't know what else to do. This older guy came to the door. I said, "I'm sorry! I'm out walking and your dogs got out and I'm afraid they're going to bite me." He just said, "OK" and by the time I was at the street, the dogs were put away. I felt kind of bad (yeah, I know, it's his fault, and he should be thanking me because even though we have a quiet neighborhood, leaving your garage door open like that is like telling the world, "Come rob me!") but not as bad as I would have felt if they would have bit me.

No comments: