Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lessons, lessons, lessons! And some repentance!

"Asa was not completely obedient in the outward, visible areas of his life. He was obedient in what he considered the most important areas, but he was not entirely right. Beware of ever thinking, “Oh, that thing in my life doesn’t matter much.” The fact that it doesn’t matter much to you may mean that it matters a great deal to God. Nothing should be considered a trivial matter by a child of God. How much longer are we going to prevent God from teaching us even one thing? But He keeps trying to teach us and He never loses patience. You say, “I know I am right with God”— yet the “high places” still remain in your life. There is still an area of disobedience. Do you protest that your heart is right with God, and yet there is something in your life He causes you to doubt? Whenever God causes a doubt about something, stop it immediately, no matter what it may be. Nothing in our lives is a mere insignificant detail to God."  Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest", April 15


You know, sometimes our lessons from God take a long time. Sometimes we have to wait and wait and pray and things are revealed over time and things grow and change in our lives. And sometimes they don't. Sometimes it's like.... flash, bang, sin revealed, and "aaaah, so this is why I've been praying for this and not receiving this blessing....."  

So, with that in mind, I will share with you one of those moments. I had it this morning. It goes like this....Those of you with children, especially with many children know that the work is never done. Never. There is always, and I mean always laundry to either be thrown in the washer/dryer, folded or put away. Always. There is no reprieve from laundry. And the house is always a mess. There are always toys laying around. Groceries need to be gotten. Vacuuming. There's always something to do. Always. Constantly. Do you understand what I am saying? Can you relate? Can I get an amen? And, unfortunately, I have tended to use Sundays as my "catch-up" day. I'd do my grocery shopping (because I could leave most of the kids at home and shop in peace), lesson planning, baking occasionally, and all that after church and honestly, I'd go to bed exhausted. And I knew that wasn't right. Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest and here I was completely worn out on a Sunday night.  But, I'd keep doing it and praying for energy and strength the rest of the week, reminding God of His promise from Isaiah - "Isaiah 40:31  but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."  And then, this morning, I was praying again for energy and strength and I had just finished reading Oswald Chambers and it was like God just said to me, "I give you Sundays to 'renew your strength', to rest and you refuse my offer of strength and rest. You are disobedient (Exodus 20:8  "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.) and you wonder why you are tired all the time. Repent. Get it together. Rest when I tell you to rest and then we can talk."  So, I did. I repented. I'm working at just resting this afternoon. I'm not going grocery shopping. I need to. But, I'm not. I do have lesson planning to do, but I'm going to try to do it quickly (and my goal for next week will be to have it done before Sunday).  Hubby and the kids are gone to a baseball game, so it's relatively quiet here.  And I am thankful. For the convicting power of the Holy Spirit and God's Word. And for a day of rest.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Days of rest are so needed -- especially for busy mamas! Keep resting my friend!

Sheena said...

This is such a convicting post. I've had quite a few Mondays where I ended up exhausted and worn out after the weekend. Thank you for this post, Kristen!

Anonymous said...

Uhh... isn't the Sabbath on Saturday?