Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Life is the flower for which love is the honey!" - Victor Hugo
Today our homeschool group got together for a little Bee Study. I'd forgotten all about it until I got an e-mail last night and I was so glad we had something to do this afternoon.  We went to the home of one of our families. They have a lovely backyard - large and well suited for entertaining. There was quite the crowd, too. Thirty children plus mamas.  I wish I would have gotten pictures, but I kept having to chase around a little 18 month old girl, so the camera, unfortunately, stayed in my purse.  The afternoon started with a lecture from a local bee-keeper. He was a good speaker and had the kids' attention for the better part of an hour. I learned a lot. Did you know that the male bees, aka drones, do nothing? They have no purpose in life, except to mate with the queen and then they die. Hmm. Then, one of the moms had a cooking demonstration (they made candy with honey), and some other activities for the kids. I think they tasted different types of honey, and colored some pictures. At that point I'd drifted off to the play area of the yard, following my two youngest and another mother who had little girls close to the same age as my youngest girls.  We watched the little girls play and had a good talk - you know, the usual stuff moms talk about, kids, parenting problems, theology.  It was good.  Then the kids watched a video about bees. I love this video. It's put out by Moody Science and is called "City of Bees".  This video was made in the 1960's. Seriously. It is so old, but it is still really good. Of course, there are some things in it that make it seem really dated. Like this scientist standing in front of a "super-computer" that takes up an entire room and bragging about it. Today's hand calculator has better technology than that super-computer.  But, still, the video was very interesting. It talked about the life of bees and how they do this little dance back at the hive to communicate how to find where the good nectar is. It really is fascinating.  Of course my boys had already seen the video, so they tried to make their escape, but I told them to go back with the other kids. "But, we've seen that video and we want to play!" "No, get back in the room with the others!"   But, they did get 5 minutes to play when the class was over. Then we had to jump in the car and run to baseball practice.  Although in those 5 minutes they were able to get together a game of Capture the Flag and two kids actually got hurt and T had a bloody lip. All in 5 minutes. I can't understand how those things happen.  Anyhow, it was a very good afternoon! For all involved.

No comments: