Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Out My Windows!

It's a rainy day here! The kids are wild, which is to be expected, but after enough tears I just separated them and told them they had to play apart for a while. I get so tired of people getting hurt all the time. And they're not really hurt. They're just a bunch of whiners! Anyhow, I haven't been able to stop looking outside this morning. I love watching it rain (since it doesn't rain much around here, I have to enjoy it when I can) It also gives my eyes a rest from the chaos inside. But I've been admiring my yard this morning.  My yard has suffered neglect over the years since we've had kids. Sure, I maintain it, but it doesn't get a lot of thought.  But one of the things I do love about spring is that my yard has a lot of shades of green in it, and that's a lovely way to decorate. Most people think that a variety of color is the way to go. And that is nice, to be sure. Don't get me wrong. I love color.  But, it's also fun to just choose one color, or maybe two and then work on putting in plants with many shades of that color.  I've been working on green (and a little purple) over the past several years. My limemound spirea is a favorite. When the leaves are new, it's almost a neon yellow green. It still stays pretty limey over the summer, but now the color is just vivid.
Then, we have the greyish-green Lamb's Ear. I love that little plant. It's fuzzy and soft. You can see the bright green ferns next to it.
This is a Bridal Wreath Spirea. (I have about half a dozen kinds of spirea in my back yard) It's just starting to bloom, but it's got kind of dull green foliage. And then there's all sorts of other greens in the tangle along the back fence of my yard.
The irises are blooming, too. They're bright purple and are beautiful against the dull purple of the catmint you see in front of it. Of course the truck in the lower right corner really adds a lot to the picture.
My yard is really looking pretty this time of year. In an understated way. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and plant some annuals for summer color some time soon!

No comments: