Monday, April 23, 2012

Phylum: Mollusca

So, tell me.... what do you really think about snails? I mean, really! How about octopuses? Squid? Clams and oysters?  Well, they all pretty much creep me out; they are totally gross. But, we are studying invertebrates and indeed, they are invertebrates. They are part of the biological group called Mollusca.  They have in common complex organs, a soft body and a shell.
 So, why are we talking about these gross things today? Because we've been studying them in science.
 Of course we read all about them,

studied their anatomy and then Friday we had a snail lab.  After the lab the kids combined playing with legos with studying snails.
Eventually they even made planes, trains and automobiles for their snails.  Thankfully there were no casualties.  That would have been really gross. But, the kids had fun and I think they learned something.
I'm just glad we don't have to do a lab on the giant squid!

No comments: