Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ball Game! But Don't Harass the Umpire!

Well, it's that time of year again, friends. Baseball season. The boys had their second game tonight. Should have been their third, but Saturday's game was rained out.  Both boys are in Little League this year and both are on the same team. There's a "brother rule" in the draft. I guess to save the parents' sanity, if one brother gets drafted, then the other brother is automatically on the team as well. Which could be a good thing if both boys are good players.  Bubba's on the same team as last year. One of the assistant coaches is the manager this year. We are pleased. We liked R. He's a good coach and works well with the boys.  Anyhow, they played a decent game tonight, for all it's so early in the season.  We lost, 9-7, which is a respectable score.  Bubba even pitched and struck out six batters. We were all pretty thrilled. But, the game was kind of a downer. For one thing, the umpire wasn't all that great. But, she was calling poorly for both sides, so.... whatever. You're gonna get bad umps.  What really bothered me, though, was that a lot of the parents on our team were harassing her. And then I glanced over to these rude parents and kind of gave them a look like, "it's not a big deal" and this woman called me out. Really. And so I got up and slammed her against the wall, and said, "listen you....!"  Uh.... no. Not really. I ignored her.  But, it just really bothered me. And you know what? Last year we had such a good group of families on the team. Nobody really got upset. I remember once when one woman started yelling at the ump, everyone turned and looked at her. She didn't say anything else for the rest of the game. Going to the games was fun. It was a good atmosphere. And tonight it was just on the verge of ugly. I hope it's not going to be like this all season.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

you make me LAUGH! There is NO way I could see you doing that.
But thanks for the laugh tonight. (Can you tell I'm finally going through your blogs from the past few weeks? hehe)