Sunday, June 10, 2012

Busyness! I Don't Like It!

You know, there was a time in my life when I used to equate how busy a person was with how important they were. It seemed to me like busy people must be very important. People to see. Places to go. Things to do.  And I tried to be busy because somehow I wanted to be seen as an important person. Dumb, I know. I'm terribly insecure, actually. But, as I started becoming more and more busy, the more I realized that it didn't make me more important. It just made me more tired. And I didn't like that. Like last weekend. I had a meeting at church in the morning, ran home, ate a quick lunch, took the boys to baseball (they had to be there an hour early), got the groceries, ran home, put away the perishables, threw the rest of the kids and Hubby into the car, went to boys' baseball game, got there 15 minutes late, sat in the bleachers, sweated, tried to keep Baby from falling through the bleachers, cleaned up spilled diaper bag under the bleachers, consoled boys who lost 14-4, ran home made pizza for dinner and collapsed in a heap. Now, you may be thinking, "What are you complaining about? This is just life!"  Well, I don't want it to be life.  At least I don't want it to be my life.  So, I'm putting my foot down. I was supposed to be at another meeting yesterday at church. It was for Vacation Bible School. But, we were also having a bbq at our house last night. And I really needed to get ready for that. I knew if I tried to do it all I'd be a wreck by the end of the day. So, I said, "No!" I didn't go to the meeting. I stayed home. We all cleaned house. (Check out Duh-duh, he's in a sweatshirt, jammie pants and is barefoot! That's how we roll around here!)
And I was in reasonable good shape and spirits by evening when we had our friends over. I didn't rush around all day.  And you know what? It really didn't matter that I missed that meeting. It was ok. Last week was the same way. I actually didn't take the car out of the garage two days out of the week. We stayed home. No doctor's appointments. No dentist.  No baseball practice. No games. Nothing. And our state of mind was so much better.  So, I'm really going to work at cutting out all superfluous appointments and busyness and work at developing a simpler, slower paced lifestyle. I think this will be better for all of us.

No comments: