Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I like my dinner low and slow!

You know, a slow cooker can really be a dinner savior at times. Yes, you have to be prepared, but a little forethought, especially when you're at the grocery store, can save you a lot of time and effort in the end.  I found a new slow-cooker recipe that I'd love to share with you all because it is soooooo yummy! I found it on allrecipes.com which is a great website.  So, I do not take credit at all for this recipe. Just so ya know!  Anyhow, you get yourself a pork butt-shoulder. That's a great piece of meat for a slow cooker. I've tried other cuts of pork, but this one works well.   Then, you stick it in your slow cooker, on top of a couple of bay leaves and add the following ingredients (I'm giving you what the recipe says, I double the amounts of all the spices when I make it): 1 teaspoon of each - salt, garlic powder and cumin.  Then, you add 1/2 teaspoon each of oregano and ground coriander.  Then 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Yes, cinnamon. You know, I'm finding that cinnamon is a very interesting spice. You think it works only in sweet foods like cinnamon rolls, apple pie, stuff like that. But no! Cinnamon is very versatile. And it works very well in this recipe. Don't leave it out!  Add a can of chicken broth (but try not to wash off the spices) and cook on high for an hour and then on low for the rest of the day. When I use my slow cooker, I put the meat in around 8:00am and leave it in till 5:30-6:00pm, supper time.  When you're ready to eat, shred the meat, being careful not to nibble too much because it is so incredibly yummy.  Tonight I served it in corn tortillas with a little sauteed red onion, cheese, cilantro and salsa.  However, this meat can be used for just about anything. So, there you have it. A new recipe for you to try. Have fun with it y'all!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, that's basically my favorite slow cooker recipe! I don't even fuss as much as all that though--I put a ton of salt in and pepper, oregano, and squeeze a lime in and then add the rest too. I don't use any other liquid, usually, but sometimes I'll use a bottle of beer. Cook on low from about 7 until dinner time. Eat as tacos with guacamole, sour cream, and cheese on warmed corn tortillas, along with a cabbage salad (start this before you start the other sides) made from shredded cabbage, salt, and lime juice. Mix it together and it wilts a bit and is totally easy and scrumptious!

And do you save the broth? OMG, it is so good for soups! The amount of salt I use makes it quite salty, so I have to remember not to salt the thing I put the broth in!

Kristen said...

Yes, I do save the broth for soups. The lime sounds like a great twist. However, I've gotta say.... the cinnamon... makes it interesting! I like it.