Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer on the Farm!

I've said this before, but I would love to live on a farm. As it is, we live on a street. Well, not on the street. As in sleeping beneath a lamp post or under the freeway. We live in a house on a typical size lot in a small town. We have close neighbors.  But, that doesn't mean we can't have our own little farm. And we do.Look at these tasty morsels. Wouldn't you love to sink your teeth into one of these? They came off our fruit salad tree in the back yard. They are ripe and delicious.
Our Red Flame Grapes are coming off the vine, too and they are wonderful. The kids love them. They're as sweet as candy.  We also like to do some experimental farming. This year we are growing cantaloupes on a trellis.  Yes, that does create a problem because as the melons mature, they get heavy.
So, I thought of a creative way to solve the problem. Hopefully it'll solve the problem.  Pantyhose.  And this is really special pantyhose. It's from my wedding. See, being the prepared bride that I was, I didn't buy just one pair of pantyhose. I bought a 6-pack. Just in case. You never know. Well, nothing happened to the ones I was wearing, so I ended up with 5 extra pairs of sparkly sheer pantyhose.  And they've been sitting in my drawer for 10 years now. I mean, really! Aside from your own wedding, where on earth are you going to wear sparkly sheer pantyhose?  But, I kept them because somehow I felt they were.... sacred. They were from my wedding. But tonight I finally decided to get over that. And I cut them up!
And put a small melon in a section and tied them to the trellis. So, hopefully that will support the melon as it grows and it won't fall off the vine before it ripens.
It should work. I hope it works. I don't see why it wouldn't work. The pantyhose stretches, so it should give the melon room to grow and it's sheer so the sun can get to it.  So, that's our experiment for the summer. I'll let you know how it works!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I can't believe all the fruit you have from your tree! WOW! And grapes? None over here.
I need to take more gardening lessons from you! :-)